The Game


Babylon 5 was an incredible science fiction TV series that first aired in the late 90s. It had 5 successful seasons, several TV movies and a spin off series, Crusade. The series centered around the ambassadors of 4 major galactic powers, the "space UN" headquarters (space station: Babylon 5), and the men and women who ran this diverse city in space.

The CCG allows 3-7 players to recreate and retell their own possible Babylon 5 saga by allowing each person to either take on the role of one of the major political powers (either via their ambassador to B5 or their home faction) and attempt to dominate the other factions using diplomacy, intrigue, military, or access to fearful and deadly ancient powers. With several expansions, the CCG really is one of the best (if not the best) war/intrigue games ever made.

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Just getting started here: an introduction to the discontinued CCG, Babylon 5



   Back in the day, my good pals would sit around and watch the Babylon 5 TV series.  While the first season certainly showcased the greener qualities of the cast, by the end if, we were hooked.  Seasons 2-3.5 were incredible.  The acting got better, the special effects smoother, and the story line more and more compelling.

  Somewhere along the way, we discovered the CCG (collectible card game for those not into Magic or the like).  I wanted to be Earth or Minbari, but we all thought it would best for both collecting ease and the sharing of boosters to split cards and each play a separate faction.  So I took the Narn (I think I would have happily played any of the main four, Centauri being the forth).  We played on and off, but I truthfully can only remember at most a dozen games.

  For whatever reason I got the collecting bug on this one and slowly built up a sizable collection. While Narn synergy cards still dominated my collection, I soon went after trying to get them all.  I'm still not there, but I'd guess I'm past 75% percent of the way there.  Sometime around 2001 I stopped collecting.  Until about a month ago.  I found my old cards, was looking for something else to do with my weekly Warhammer 40k crew (great game, BTW), and I'm slowly trying to lead a B5 CCG revival.

  I plan for this blog to be a journal of my B5 CCG experiances.  I'll refer to my players by their ambassador (for internet anonymity) and post AARs (After Action Reports) of each game and a few objective but kind comments as we go.

Go Here: Vorlon Space, for all B5CCG needs

No comments:

Post a Comment