The Game


Babylon 5 was an incredible science fiction TV series that first aired in the late 90s. It had 5 successful seasons, several TV movies and a spin off series, Crusade. The series centered around the ambassadors of 4 major galactic powers, the "space UN" headquarters (space station: Babylon 5), and the men and women who ran this diverse city in space.

The CCG allows 3-7 players to recreate and retell their own possible Babylon 5 saga by allowing each person to either take on the role of one of the major political powers (either via their ambassador to B5 or their home faction) and attempt to dominate the other factions using diplomacy, intrigue, military, or access to fearful and deadly ancient powers. With several expansions, the CCG really is one of the best (if not the best) war/intrigue games ever made.

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

More Screenings of Babylon 5 season 1


The Mrs and I watched three more episodes.  The shows are growing on her, but she's made some snarky comments to both the overacting (which is declining) and the "special" effects.  It's weird for me, as I don't remember them being this bad... but as I recall, season 2 was an improvement over season 1 (hopefully).



Episode 7: So much depth, yet somehow still shallow.

Me:  Dang I wanted to like this episode.  It has racial hatred being triumphed over, artistic integrity, young love, noble intercession, a look into a main character's past, more mysteries of the Vorlons, and more.  Yet its all just sort of covered.  I think JMS tried to do too much.  We get a few episodes where not much happens off the "A" storyline, where as this probably needed to be two episodes.  I like the thought(s) behind this one, it's still a long ways off season three's professionalism though.

Mrs:  She got bored with this one.  I tried to keep her engaged with discussion on the Homeguard, but I think it needed more Sinclair, more Garibaldi, more Londo v G'kar and less Ivanova and her past and less weak poetry.



Episode 8: Such a great episode

Me:  In my humble opinion, this was one of the those truly great moments in season 1.  Both of the Knights feel like deep authentic characters, the mystery of the Battle of the Line is deepened, and this episode just ties in soo much.  To me, this is the first time the overall story arc really moves forward.  We have little baby steps here and there in the first 7 shows before this, but this one actually takes strides.  This also felt like something Shakespeare would write today if he were still alive.  I see some of the same art and intellect as we get in Thor in episode 8.  Love it.  Knight Two's closing comments are epic to me.  Before the Matrix or anything like that, for him to be trapped in himself... very cool (I know there is some serious nitpicking with this episode, but I feel like they're missing the point here).

Mrs:  She too saw the Shakespearean undertones of this.  I think she really liked this episode too.  It doesn't do too much and does what it set out to do quite well.  Again, I think she's really buying into Sinclair as the main character and liking him for it.  It really is too bad that he (Micheal) couldn't have kept doing the shows (I know, mental health and love of stage took him away).  Not that I don't like Sheridan (I do), but I would have liked them both to be regulars.



Episode 9: A Bit of Tolkien in here

Me:  I love how JMS brought in a back story and didn't have to tell it all.  It reminds me a bit of the Lord of the Rings (more the movies than the books, which do tell just about all of it).  It works to develop a deep back story and not tell it all.  Its how people would talk in real life.  Add a few outsiders to here the story bits you need and let it all run forward.  This episode also feels very mature (much like 8), in that it deals with deep and troubling issues.  It doesn't have Shakespeare but instead feels like a TNG episode soaked in 40K grimdark and then dried out in space.  I feel like we really get to see the workings of B5 and its political machines in this one... which I like.

Mrs:  She liked this one, but I think it got a little too twisted to follow for a casual fan.  My wife also pointed out some kinda weird plot holes, that while they didn't ruin it for me, were good points (like why didn't the Wind Swords want immortality or why is Earth letting her talk to the Narns or why are there no consequences for a Vorlon attack on neutral shipping).

In other news:

The lunch game got delayed another day, sickness mainly kept to many away.  But if I can talk them into it, I'll sit this game out (basically if there's 4 or more, I won't play... 3, I will).

No comments:

Post a Comment