The Game


Babylon 5 was an incredible science fiction TV series that first aired in the late 90s. It had 5 successful seasons, several TV movies and a spin off series, Crusade. The series centered around the ambassadors of 4 major galactic powers, the "space UN" headquarters (space station: Babylon 5), and the men and women who ran this diverse city in space.

The CCG allows 3-7 players to recreate and retell their own possible Babylon 5 saga by allowing each person to either take on the role of one of the major political powers (either via their ambassador to B5 or their home faction) and attempt to dominate the other factions using diplomacy, intrigue, military, or access to fearful and deadly ancient powers. With several expansions, the CCG really is one of the best (if not the best) war/intrigue games ever made.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Acquisitions


  Well I found Claudia Christian's (Susan Ivanova) website, interestingly enough she never watched Babylon 5 on network TV.  Apparently she started slowly watching them for the first time... pretty interesting to see her take on things (and inside information) all these years later.  She's taken a break on the screenings, but hopefully will be back to them soon.

  After what I thought were shrew acquisitions, and my wife thinks are a waste of funds (she's probably right), I've already cut my missing cards down to 221.

31 Crusade
35 Wheel of Fire
28 Severed Dreams
54 Psi Corps
17 Shadows
45 Great War
9 Premier
2 Deluxe

I've also got 3 booster boxes (shadows and great war) coming in, so hopefully I can drop below the 200 mark from those (and flesh out some missing cards).  There are certainly some big rares (Emperor Mollari) that I'm missing, but its the uncommons that are becoming the real trick.  No one sells those, or puts them up for trades.  Its always rares.  Oh well.  I can't find Psi Corps booster boxes anywhere.  At least Crusade, Wheel of Fire, and Severed Dreams are out there to be bought... Psi Corp just looks like a dead end for now.

We finished a few more rounds of our current teaching game (play during lunch 2 days a week).  Almost everyone's right at 10, so soon the game really starts.  I've always wondered, if for speed and moving the game forward, it would make sense just to given everyone 5 free draws, +3 influence, ambassador assistant in play, and start the game there.  I get that for tournaments and stuff that would not go well, but for friendly play, I really am beginning to think that I might consider some sort of advanced start like that... it would get the game going much more quickly

Post any thoughts you may have on fudging the start of the game... I'm curious

No comments:

Post a Comment