The Game


Babylon 5 was an incredible science fiction TV series that first aired in the late 90s. It had 5 successful seasons, several TV movies and a spin off series, Crusade. The series centered around the ambassadors of 4 major galactic powers, the "space UN" headquarters (space station: Babylon 5), and the men and women who ran this diverse city in space.

The CCG allows 3-7 players to recreate and retell their own possible Babylon 5 saga by allowing each person to either take on the role of one of the major political powers (either via their ambassador to B5 or their home faction) and attempt to dominate the other factions using diplomacy, intrigue, military, or access to fearful and deadly ancient powers. With several expansions, the CCG really is one of the best (if not the best) war/intrigue games ever made.

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Homeworld Factions abound in Babylon 5 CCG lunch game #2


We launched another lunch game this week, 5 players this time... and only one has a Babylon 5 vote. The decks were all picked independent of the others, yet we have no Shadows, no Vorlons (I think), and only 1 B5 ambassador and none of the original 4.

The decks go as follows (starting in the top left, clockwise): Sinclair (4 card), Bester, Na'Far (me), Refa, and Neroon.  We're all still in the process of building, but I had the Euphrates Treaty in my starting hand along with Council Na'Far and Nothing to Hide (if Refa wants to run up tensions to get to war, it will at least hurt a bit), so right now I have a Diplomacy 9, DR 3 ambassador.  The Humans and Neroon are at influence 7, Refa is at 5, I'm at 6 (I took a turn off to get Na'Toth in... though we are unsure whether Na'Toth is considered Na'Far's ambassador right now or not.  Either way, I'd have put her in (only character I've drawn and I need another Inner Circle sponsor).  Neroon's a first time player, but the rest have all played before.  I'll still give advice freely, and I know Refa will too, so they should do fine.

My Na'Far deck is the normal win via tension, but I'm already wishing I have a few more cards to keep tensions down (the extra power can't hurt, especially late game). We've already had a B5 vote, kinda funny, Sheridan played the card and then got to have the only vote... but I know Neroon and Na'Far both have the agendas that enable their right to vote.  No Shadow, Vorlons, Crusades, Non-aligned, or original ambassadors... should be interesting at least.



No comments:

Post a Comment