The Game


Babylon 5 was an incredible science fiction TV series that first aired in the late 90s. It had 5 successful seasons, several TV movies and a spin off series, Crusade. The series centered around the ambassadors of 4 major galactic powers, the "space UN" headquarters (space station: Babylon 5), and the men and women who ran this diverse city in space.

The CCG allows 3-7 players to recreate and retell their own possible Babylon 5 saga by allowing each person to either take on the role of one of the major political powers (either via their ambassador to B5 or their home faction) and attempt to dominate the other factions using diplomacy, intrigue, military, or access to fearful and deadly ancient powers. With several expansions, the CCG really is one of the best (if not the best) war/intrigue games ever made.

Friday, October 17, 2014

...and Londo makes his move


  A few more turns on the lunch game.  Supporting characters coming out for everyone, assistants finally show up (and homeworlds).  I'm Mr. Money bags, but I'm strongly encouraging the other players to start targeting me.  When we called it, everyone had just revealed their conflicts


  Delenn:  Supporting characters everywhere... from a cast of 6 to a cast of 4... He's feeling a little disheartened at the weakness of the supporting row, but I'm hoping that he can see them as cheap and expendable.  A fleet is now in play and Vorlon's march on with our first Final Destiny in play (let the recyling and growing Vorlon marks/influence being... good, I want the Shadow War sooner than later).

  Sheridan:  He and Londo are teaming up to try and push a Partnership for Peace through (against me).  This will give each of them an extra 8 influence to spend next turn (if it works).  That could really help them.  I'm contingencied against the loss of influence, so I'll make them earn it, but not attempt to stop it.  Sheridan got Ivanova in and improved (so that helps).  At this point, I think buying cards with the possible windfall here might be the best move.

  Londo:  Slowly building up his hand, if he pushes Prey on the Weak through, and he might, with his Homeworld in play, he can start the climb to a solid influence rating here.  His character pool is small, but they're pretty powerful and he's already got plans for what to do with influence gained from Partnership for Peace (basically 2 characters and a planet).  I'm not sure I can stop it if I wanted to, but I don't want to get too involved.  Refa is a nasty axe man for him right now.  I think in his mind he'll attack with him every other turn (healing on the off turns).  I like Londo's willingness to attack, most of the new players (not the learning ones, though this applies to them too) are gun shy in attacking, Londo is not, and that's good... playing conservatively does not work well in old B5,
  
  G'Kar:  I've got the cards to win, but I really want to see where this goes, and I'd like the Shadow War to start (gives the learning players more turns to learn the game, and then I've exposed them to the different victory sets).  Right now I've spent my Legacy Deck.  All its characters are out, all but one of its fleets, and its just enhancements and aftermaths until I recycle the conflicts through.  I know the Minbari deck has excellent abilities to strip off enhancements, so I'm going to try and play it careful (like wait until I have two of a card and then play one with the other as a back up).  Typically I try and convince all three of the other players to come at me once the Shadow War begins, so I'm trying to setup for being a bear for them to take down.  Its fun for them to work together to obliterate someone and its fun for me to see how resilient I can be.  My conflict is Hi-Tech Weapons, and I just want to win that and not lose Prey on the Weak.  It will be good for the game for all three of the other conflicts to go through, and I don't think I can stop them anyway without exposing cards that I'll need later in the game.

 We'll see if I can pull off the weekend game... it looks like it will happen soon.

 Until then, check out Vorlon Space for all your B5 CCG needs... this site really makes the game run these days.


No comments:

Post a Comment