The Game


Babylon 5 was an incredible science fiction TV series that first aired in the late 90s. It had 5 successful seasons, several TV movies and a spin off series, Crusade. The series centered around the ambassadors of 4 major galactic powers, the "space UN" headquarters (space station: Babylon 5), and the men and women who ran this diverse city in space.

The CCG allows 3-7 players to recreate and retell their own possible Babylon 5 saga by allowing each person to either take on the role of one of the major political powers (either via their ambassador to B5 or their home faction) and attempt to dominate the other factions using diplomacy, intrigue, military, or access to fearful and deadly ancient powers. With several expansions, the CCG really is one of the best (if not the best) war/intrigue games ever made.

Friday, October 10, 2014

Screening and Turns



  Well, its not that type of screening, but yeah.  Me and the Mrs. are going to start watching our way through all things Babylon 5.  We'll start with the Gathering and then head on through the B5 Series.  I'll try to do one or two of these a week and eventually we'll have the whole thing done.  She's never seen a single episode, so this should be interesting.

Another Day of the Lunch Game

Everyone's hit 10+ influence... right now the playing field looks like this:


Starting on the top left and moving clock wise:  

Gambler Londo has the King Arthur and Lord Refa in his Inner Circle, no agenda, a Garrison fleet and 10 influence.  There's been a little antagonism (betrayal??) with the Minbari... but other than that he's doing well

After that, Delenn is farming up her Vorlon marks (4) and raisin Vorlon influence (8).  She's (he's) lost a picket fleet to an intrigue attack by the Centauri, but has a good start to building the Grey Council force needed to contend in Diplo/Intrigue conflicts.  He's also at 10 influence

Next is me (G'kar) with 12 influence (I just won Show the Colors) and 14 to apply (Independent Support).  Right now I've got Defense in Depth in play, along with Elizabeth Trent in my Inner Circle and Galen as a supporting Character (I'm running a 25 card Legacy side deck).  For security I've got a Utility Fleet and Galen's ship,,, but that military looks pretty weak compared to the final member

Last is Sheridan with 11 influence, but also Build Infrastructure, 17 military (Fleet of the Line and Second Battle Fleet), and Franklin in his Inner Circle.  He also has a Trade Pact with the Minbari... so he's the big beat stick right now.

All tensions are as starting and all unrest is one, except Centauri (which is two, thanks Refa).

It's still a learning game, but the beauty of B5 is that getting the fundamentals down goes very quickly.  Both of the new players have made some minor mistakes, but that's the nature of the game...

5 comments:

  1. I think the Techno-Mages and the Legacy Crusade Pile is quite OP. If you play it well, you are going to end up with a full Inner Circle of Techno-Mages. Just need Isabelle and Well of Forever to get Isabelle's Quest into play - to use it to turn every character into a Techno-Mage and protect it via Organelle Transfer to then promote it for free with We'll Take Over. Voila! Inner Circle full of unbeatable Techno-Mages. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm not being real aggressive with it (didn't even put Organelle Transfer in). However I'm glad that you posted this... I might use this once the Psi Corps military telepaths and Centauri recycling intrigue for influence start showing up. But right now I'm playing with restraint... even showing players how to blind side me.

    When we stopped playing years ago, no one has really done the Crusade side decks, so I'm kinda learning that while teaching the core game. Thanks for the tip. If someone has a struggling deck I might move the Legacy deck to them for now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure, I understand. :) Do not forget to add IPX Official to the mix (means Opening Hand) to speed up the intake of Crusade cards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Noted. I noticed that you've playing in some constructed deck tourneys... jealous. Are there AARs or a tournament log somewhere for that? I still feel like I'm still learning/relearning, and I'm hoping to pass on every site or tip I can to the players who are learning the game for the first time (I never lose in 40k, so I'm looking for a fun game that I can lose at in the club... this feels like that, they're almost all vet CCG players, and are picking up the game at an insane pace... scary actually).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just an update... we've basically banned all ISA, all Crusade side deck cards, and all Drakh stuff... made the game so much better

    ReplyDelete