The Game


Babylon 5 was an incredible science fiction TV series that first aired in the late 90s. It had 5 successful seasons, several TV movies and a spin off series, Crusade. The series centered around the ambassadors of 4 major galactic powers, the "space UN" headquarters (space station: Babylon 5), and the men and women who ran this diverse city in space.

The CCG allows 3-7 players to recreate and retell their own possible Babylon 5 saga by allowing each person to either take on the role of one of the major political powers (either via their ambassador to B5 or their home faction) and attempt to dominate the other factions using diplomacy, intrigue, military, or access to fearful and deadly ancient powers. With several expansions, the CCG really is one of the best (if not the best) war/intrigue games ever made.

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Babylon 5 episodes 1-3 reviewing again

The Mrs. and I are slowly watching the series from beginning to end. She's never seen them before, clearly, I saw them all back in the day. I've watched seasons 2-5 within the last year, but not season 1 and not all the movies.



Episode 1: Ragesh and Raiders

Me: wow, I forgot how dated the CGI was. Also, I forgot how much G'kar was one part villain and one part buffon at this point in the show.  Sinclair's a better character than I recalled. Londo is very much the flawed good guy.

Wife: That looks like an old video game. Found the characters weird, really didn't see the acting that bad. Not convinced, but being quite the sport.



Episode 2: Soul Hunting and new medical digs

Me: ok, written like a Shakespeare spin off. Good, but still rough.  I did like the Grey Council teasers.

Wife: noticing the forced costumes and CGI. She's liking Garibaldi and Sinclair.



Episode 3: Aides and Maids

Me:  Again, I forgot how sympathetic Londo was and how much of an antagonist G'Kar was too. I also appreciate how much JMS kept the feeling of being in space, in a major trade hub. Nice to see the main characters interacting with each other and friendships forming.

Wife:  we talked about the silliness of the "futuristic" civilian clothes (and yet how 80s/90s it all felt).  There was some confusion between Kosh and N'Grath (stupid character and stupid costume, glad they dumped him) as they both live in climate controlled zones.

I think she's enjoying it, but certainly not hooked. I did skip The Gathering (would have hated for that to be the first impression). I also lowered expectations as best I could (PC CGI effects, poor acting, mood inconsistencies etc. in season 1), so that helped too.

I'll post again once we've screened some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment